A classic Italian dish with bacon and tomatoes.
Probably the most famous Italian pasta sauce, bolognese is a rich combination of meat, vegetables and herbs, simmered until tender and served with freshly cooked spaghetti.
- 1 pot of JD Seasonings Bolognese
- 500gm minced beef, pork or a mixture of the two would be better, typically less than 5% fat
- 4 smoky bacon rashers, all fat removed and roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 400gm tinned tomatoes
- Low calorie cooking spray
Spray a large non stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat.
Add the onions and bacon and fry for 3-4 mins then add the carrots, celery and garlic and cook for a further 2 mins.
Add 1 pot of jd’s bolognese blend and the minced beef, mix well and cook until browned.
Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and the 2 tins of tomatoes. Fill one of the empty tins with water and add to the bolognese.
Turn the heat up and bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about an hour stirring occasionally.
Discard the bay leaf and serve with your choice of pasta.